Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Luggage Question

One of those issues that suddenly jumps up and bites you has come to light.

Having been advised by Alastair (who was out in Malawi earlier in the year, and who will be returning later) that he found that he had packed too much, I was preparing to cut back my luggage "ruthlessly".  However, given that my allowance with Kenya Airways is 2 x 23kg bags in the hold, and then a shoulder bag and a laptop as hand luggage, I was feeling fine.  However, now that the final leg of my journey (from Lilongwe to Blantyre) has been booked for 9 June, I see from the Air Malawi website that my allowance is just 20kg.  Even with judicious pruning, there's no way I'm going to be under 20kg (I'm carrying books, for example), so there is now an investigation of the implications going on in Malawi as I write this.  Much thanks to Kondwani in Blantyre and Cecilia in Lilongwe for their efforts on this.

It just goes to show that it's really hard to foresee all eventualities, and reinforces the benefits of building a database of every issue that arises together with the eventual solution (if any) so that the organisation continues to learn over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment