Friday 11 June 2010

World Cup Day 1

... and we're hosting people from the office for a bbq which was to mark Rick's leaving next week after 4 months on the project, and also (this was a surprise) a welcome to Blantyre for me.  This is a team picture taken on our verandah - all a bit indistinct I'm afraid, but a larger version is available on my Flickr page.

The morning was taken up with a weekly team meeting with the apprentice consultants where we review any issues that may have arisen over the week, and also get any feedback from them on how things are going.

After that I had a financial review meeting looking at the financial analysis that has been done on the project I'm taking over from Rick.  I then got my mobile phone to use whilst in Malawi, and my laptop was finally connected to the shared drive so that I can now access all the project files and the teaching materials for the apprentices' training programme.  Peter Moar, our Programme Manager also arrived back from the UK today, so I've been able to catch up with him this afternoon.

It was then back to the house and set up for the barbecue - chicken, sausages, salads - and there was then a presentation for Rick followed by cake.  In fact there were two cakes - one for Rick's departure and one for my arrival.  They were home cooked and very good indeed.  The barbecue ended at around 3.30 and we then went into town to a bar in the KPMG office building to watch the South Africa v Mexico game.  Great atmosphere in the bar, but a bit weird because they had two TVs tuned into different broadcasts of the match, and there was about a 5 second difference between them - so there was a big shout when SA scored from the people looking at one screen, and the goal went in shortly afterwards on the TV we were watching.  I also met several ex pats that Rick and Sharife have made friends with over the past few months, and many of them are coming to the house for tomorrow's England v US match.

I decided not to stay in town to see the second game tonight, so I'm back here doing this blog and a little bit of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment